Pages

Sunday, June 07, 2009

Bake-ful Weekend

Preview: A Collage of Weekend Food

Some food quotes from the week: 
- "Living with u would make me fat" (Jenny)
- "I got u a kitchen aid slotted turner for cooking. It is non-stick and can sustain up to 450°" (Mom)

The weekend was busy, fun and sunny: I cooked, exercised, grocery shopped at several (5) places, worked and met up with a lot of people.  I even tried out Le Pain Quotiden on 65th and liked their fresh mint tea ...

Saturday morning after a quick stop at my neighbor, Whole Foods, I trekked to Washington Heights to visit Erika at her new apartment.  Her apt is a nice find: it’s near a Key Foods, in a great building and is pretty spacious.  While her belongings are still in the process of finding their own places, my favorite room in her apt is the kitchen; with yellow walls and plenty of natural light, it’s no wonder she cooks so much more now.  We made carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting drizzled with super finely chopped walnuts and lemon zest (that’s CC CC).  Thanks also for watching the two minute youtube I sent over on frosting cupcakes with spatula.

Light on an Herb Garden in a Stage-Like Living Room

Holding Up Malnutritioned Cupcake #13 (note: recipe called for 12)

Unfrosted & Frosted CCCC on Professional Cooling Rack

Sunday brunch and bakeover was more food.  Davis and Sarah brought competing bowls of pico de gallo, and we enjoyed it with blue corn tortilla chips.  If had more portion control, I would have enough leftovers to make and eat bruschetta for an entire week.  Davis also brought seasoned  fries with rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper.  Meanwhile JP and I worked away in the kitchen and baked in the oven at 350° mango macadamia nut bread and a raspberry lime sheet cake (with silken tofu). 

(L-R, Top to  Bottom): Risen Banana Bread; A Slice of Bread; Raspberry Lime Sheet Cake; Large Piece Divided Up into Threes

And even though I  was quite full from all the baked goods, I made a quick dinner (my chicken had been marinating since 10am!):

Mango Salsa
Marinated Chicken with Mango Salsa and Coconut Rice

1 thoughts:

that's the slotted turner that I have... mom liked it so much she bought a couple- one for herself, and i guess, one for you too apparently