Pages

Friday, August 21, 2009

Another Sarah Send-Off Dinner on Thursday

As promised, Sarah came back to the city on 818! After travelling outside of the country for ~ five weeks, she had a short stopover in New York before heading up to Ithaca to start law school. On Wednesday night, we had a girls dinner out at Nanoosh in the UWS and healthily ate hummus. On Thursday, we planned to have a dinner at JP's just like old times.

Since it's been so hot in the city the last few weeks, I have been more into summertime foods, and upon perusing food blogs and sites, I came across to summer-y things to make:

(1) fresh figs with goat cheese, pistacchio, honey, balsamic vinegar and pepper
(2) orzo with papaya, ricotta salata, arugula, basil and olive oil toasted pinenuts

Fresh figs were on sale at Whole Foods ($2/box), and easy to find when in season. Really the papaya in #2 was a substitute for dried cherries ... but theyre still sweet and were 25% of the cost of the latter. Earlier in the day I was talking online with my friend ATB, and he mentioned blueberry pie in conversation, which inspired me to also bake a pie.

Since it was my day off, I headed over to see Sarah early in the afternoon. I caught up with both Sarah and JC; JC was going over her bits of (work-in-process) book, which includes a chapter dedicated to Sarah. The conversation was a bit strange at times, but I still learned random cultural tidbits as JC picked her brain to gain more insight about certain cultural things.

After JC left, Sarah and I mostly just talked, chopped and prepared food. She made a guacamole with rather unripe avocados, but with just the right spice, I think it ended up just fine. I love how we can always have such great random conversations (about spirits, life, philosophy, food, poetry) ... which is always deep and never superficial.

Gosh, just like last time, I'm going to miss her so much when she goes to school.


Food Preparations: Yes I chopped pistachios for 20 mins straight

Fresh Figs with Goat Cheese, Pistacchios, Balsamic, Honey and Black Peppers

An Orzo Dish with Color but not Calor

Blueberry Pie with a Hint of Lemon

Sarah con Vino

0 thoughts: